Monday 9 December 2013

Audience Feedback: Questionnaire


Summary of Responses to Questionnaire

Does my magazine look like a music magazine? Why/why not?

Yes due to the performance picture and black and white colour scheme the cover isn't as clear as the double page spread but the colour scheme and main image still fits the codes and conventions. the double page spread looks like an interview for a band & the main image looks professional. The colour scheme is typical of a music magazine and follows the codes and conventions. The DPS uses 'A marvelous mix" which infers that it is a music magazine. However i think from the front cover it maybe could be mistaken as a fashion magazine.I will consider using a different image, one which makes my magazine look more like a music magazine rather than a fashion magazine. the front cover obviously needs text on it What does NG stand for? not clearI will include a tagline 'The New Generation of british rock music". NG stands for new generation (as in of music) therefore hopefully this will become more obvious to the audience.doesnt really have any musical connotations. The models pose is more of a fashion one, it would be useful to have some kind of pun to anchor the meaningI have planned on adding a pun - "She blows us away" which links to the image as her hair is blowing.of why you used that pose, eg 'look back in anger' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Look_Back_in_Anger a famous play from the 1960s 'who is that coming over the hill...?' I think it looks like a music/gossip magazine, from the pictures you can see that it's a music magazine and the questions asked in the interview give it away. Yes because it looks expensive and classy in the colour scheme.

By looking at the double page spread, and unfinished front cover, what would you say is the genre and why?

Indie Rock Slightly indie/rocky but also aspects of acoustic/singer-songwriter kind of genre. a wide range of genres but mostly pop rock/ alternative. similar style to NME Pop/Alternative, because the monochrome colour scheme tells me this magazine isn't full out pop and the artist looks slightly indie and alternative. She looks quite glamorous in the photos and is wearing a leather jacket so maybe classic rock like Q magazine or rock-pop? mainstream pop/indie  this informs me that I need to make the genre more obvious - it is indie rock, but many people have thought it was pop, which I do not want to convey in my final product. 

Are there any improvements that need to be made on my DPS? If yes, explain.

The copy can't be read when it pops upI will upload my final product as a jpeg rather than a screenshot which should make the text clearer., you need to upload a larger image so it is legible. Maybe a bit of colour in the typface somewhere? Maybe add a puff I will think about some ways to add more colour, and consider using a puff in the top right hand corner, to liven up the main image side. Maybe take away the white boxesI did not like this aspect, although I wasn't sure how else to make the text fit. However, I think that I will make the font smaller and maybe delete a question in the interview so that all of the text fits on one page.on the image and replace them with quotes instead Maybe a bit more colour? it could be a shade of purplethis makes sense, as matching the picture means that a house style will be established through use of a colour scheme.to match the picture in the corner. use a sans serif font for the titles and make it slightly bigger. it isn't very clear the article is about a collaboration add coverlines to the cover page (but thats probably because you havent finished it) Not on the double page spread. The front cover is unfinished so it's hard to say now, the photo is good and has been well edited maybe brighten it slightly.

My target audience is 16-25 female and male, does my magazine appeal to this audience? How?

Yes, the colour scheme looks mature and sophisticated. The clothes and models represent that age group. The font is mature. It probably would appeal slightly more to females because of the grey colour scheme which links to crystals and class and the main image on the front cover being female too. Maybe add some coverlines to the front cover which'd attract more men?I have planned on doing this, although my front cover is not yet finished. I will mention male artists such as Jake Bugg and also a band,so that my magazine can appeal to a larger audience, yeah, the featured artists both look like they could fit into that category & the front cover looks aspirational I think it definitely appeals to both genders because the artist is aesthetically pleasing for an audience. Yes as it looks professional but not too mature or sophisticated Yes, your 'talent' looks of a similar age, they look quite sophisiticated, not as though it is targeted at 'tweenagers'

Does the artist whom I have chosen to feature on my front cover link to the genre of my magazine? (Indie Rock) Why/Why Not?

Yes, the costume (such as the jacket and bracelets) links to this. Maybe edit it so she has more striking makeup or nail vanish etc so is more 'edgy' Yes, the clothes (leather jacket) link to the genre Yes, leather jacket and spikes on her bracelet giver her an edgy look. the cover image could be seen as too glamorous, a higher contrast image or black and whiteI would not make the image black and white because I think that this would result in a lack of colour could make the cover more edgy use of leather jacket and studded bracelet are in keeping with the genre in terms of semiotics, the codes of clothing connote the genre. Her outfit definitely does, I think maybe she doesn't have enough of an edgy quirk to her imageI have thought about this and at the same time, further production to my cover image has been difficult, so I have been considering using a different image.

Do you think that this image is appropriate in other aspects eg. does she look like a music artist? Why/ Why not?

Yes she does because she it looks like a real photoshoot and as if she is an established artist already in the music industry which is good. She's definitely pretty enough to be a music artist, the pose makes her look professional as well. Not totally, her pose is not really what I would expect and there are no instuments featured. It would be useful to look at how women are represented on the cover of the NME (not very often I would expect) and consider how they are posed. Yes Yes, she represents the genre with her choice of clothing, However i think the image lacks iconography of that genre. I have found that there is negativity concerning the image that I have chosen for my front cover. I will therefore think about changing the image...

What good / bad aspects are there about my main article?

The image is good due to the direct mode of address used. Also, the comment 'fame made me paranoid and sick' stands out and draws the reader in and interests them. Looks interesting and lots of detail but I cant read it in this format. I like the enlarged quote it looks very classy, the colour scheme could be more colourful? But I love the image of the artist they look very professional. I like the interaction with the reader (the link to a website etc) good: great tone and mature, looks asthetically pleasing with the different coloured questions. Informativive. bad= It contains alot of exclamation marks which would maybe appeal to a younger audienceI will proofread my article and try to lose some of these. It looks really authentic and professional. There's nothing bad to say about it! great relationship between the readership and the artist, questions from readers etc

Are the questions in the interview of my main article appropriate?

Yes, They are very 'gossip-like' Which i think would appeal to this young audience. Yes, they are linked to the music genre and encourage developed answers. as above yes they're appropriate and good questions. Yes they ask what the readers will want to hear and make the interview more personal

Is there anything you feel that I have not included in the article/interview?

as above more colour, some more imagesI have planned on including an image of an album cover, hopefully this would interest the audience, you need a minimum of four in the project bold quotes and titles, and there isn't as much mention of the collaborating artist No, I really really like what you have done so far, you have thought of everything! No No, it targets the audience well and has a friendly, up beat tone! I don't think so,


This is the questionnaire I made to gain audience feedback about my magazine so far...


No comments:

Post a Comment